Since Google+ and the OSR movement are going away in a year after G+ closes down, there’s a lot of pre-shutdown nostalgia already for the OSR, though the movement will go on for another year (until the day G+ shuts down for good, then it will be gone outside of Garycon and Gamehole con).
The questionnaire below was posted as a nostalgia piece that bloggers can fill out to have some feels together now at the end and for the posterity of the movement. The OSR had a good run, and G+ was entertaining to say the least.
In terms of content that the OSR produced, there were some good adventures but I think 90% of the ‘hacks’ people put together were in some issue of Dragon magazine from 1978 – 1985 but people were just too lazy to find them and tell the people that what they were suggesting had already been done before.
OSR Guide For The Perplexed Questionnaire
1. One article or blog entry that exemplifies the best of the Old School Renaissance for me:
Zak S. and RPGPundit, a comparison of the D&D 5th Edition consultants, or “John Tarnowski must feel lower than a legless flea’s taint”
- My favorite piece of OSR wisdom/advice/snark:
All of the LotFP Grindhouse GM’s book.
- Best OSR module/supplement:
Prince Charming, Reanimator
- My favorite house rule (by someone else):
Advantage / Disadvantage from 5E
- How I found out about the OSR:
LotFP stuff sitting on the shelf in the game store… I think.
- My favorite OSR online resource/toy:
Into the Odd Character generator
- Best place to talk to other OSR gamers:
- Other places I might be found hanging out talking games:
- Gamehole Con
- In person with friends.
- My awesome, pithy OSR take nobody appreciates enough:
- My favorite non-OSR RPG:
FENG SHUI 2!
- Why I like OSR stuff:
Dungeon Crawl Classics and especially the LotFP stuff by Raphael Chandler
I like Tenkar’s hounding of that pencil dice guy.
- Two other cool OSR things you should know about that I haven’t named yet:
Venger Satanis. Runequest 6.
- If I could read but one other RPG blog but my own it would be:
Design Mechanism’s blog
- A game thing I made that I like quite a lot is:
A lotfp pocket mod character sheet. A funnel for DCC. A monster for lotFP that was never published.
- I’m currently running/playing:
Lotfp, DCC, 13th Age, Mythras
- I don’t care whether you use ascending or descending AC because:
You’re trying to find players to play Dungeon World at Game Universe.
- The OSRest picture I could post on short notice:
4 thoughts on “Nostalgia for the OSR”
What’s an OSR?
It doesn’t matter. It’s over now.
Thank you for including me! 😉
As Lovecraft said, “That is not dead which can eternal lie… and with strange aeons, even death may die.”
We are fans of your work.